www.aliceblanch.com

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Heronimus Bosch





Today I visited the Heronimus Bosch Art Center in Hertogenbosh in Holland. I hadn't heard of the artist before but when i saw some of his characters i recognized the work. He was a well know painter in the 1500's. His work is so unique and imaginative that i can hardly believe that it was created so many years ago in a small town in Holland. All of the work refers to religious stories or meaning- his most famous being about the garden of earthly delights,i believe. Many depicting heaven and hell but in the most twisted way i have ever experienced.
My favourite painting was of the earth on the (second?) day of creation ( the last image shown above) called - the creation of the world. It shows the world both round and flat at the same time and with out any animals or humans, just the land. God can be seen in the top left corner. I think I am drawn to it as it is much simpler than his other works and was painted using black and white only. As I am very much inspired by the landscape I enjoyed seeing this painting of the world pre-humans, and the landscape is clearly based on the European landscape.
I liked some of his other works also as they where more than just painting for the sake of something beautiful, as some of them had meanings and lessons to teach the viewers- not to be a fool etc.
Overall it was some of the most memorable work that I have come across in the past few weeks.
How it relates to my work? I am not sure.

But i recently came across this quote
"your greatest assets are your weaknesses"
Its something to think about.


( i really am not sure of the spelling of his name..)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Adelaide, SA, Australia
If you are interested in my work, check out my website- www.aliceblanch.com or blog at clouddreamss.blogspot.com.au