www.aliceblanch.com

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Edward Steichen










Edward Steichen was one of the most important photographers in the early 20th Century. He lived from 1899 to 1973. Steichen was good friends with Alfred Stieglitz and the two are often mixed up and thought to be the other person. This is only because they where both quite revolutionary with there work, lived at around the same time and where friends.
Steichen's work has very beautiful contrasts and tone, caused by what we now call various "alternative photographic processes".

I have always admired his work and would love to see his photograph The Pond- Moonlight ( the last row on the left) in real life. I was luck enough to see his photograph of The Flatiorn Building ( the third row on the right) when i was in Melbourne last year. Boy Oh, boy was it beautiful. It was only about an 8x10 print, but it was so rich and deep in contrast.

I found this quote from Edward from after the first world war (in which he was an areal photographer) that I find interesting:

"I am no longer concerned with photography as an art form. I believe it is potentially the best medium for explaining man to himself and his fellow man."

1 comment:

  1. Nice collection! He's one of my favorites. You did a nice job selecting some of his notable works. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Adelaide, SA, Australia
If you are interested in my work, check out my website- www.aliceblanch.com or blog at clouddreamss.blogspot.com.au