www.aliceblanch.com

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Karl Blossfeldt







Karl Blossfeldt studied industrial arts in Rome in 1890. Blossfeldt photographed natural plant matter up close and personal. The way he photographed the plants was in a very straight, documentary, specimen kind-of-way, yet at the same time he captured such beauty in the unique shapes, patterns and textures in each plant. This combination creates these amazing photographs that present nature in such a unique way.

The strange thing was that Blossfeldt wasn't exactly a photographer to begin with but was more focused on industrial design, using photography to compliment his work. It is stated that Blossfeldt, "used his plant photographs to demonstrate to students that the best solutions for industrial design had already been anticipated in nature" but this was not taken on board by many students.

Blossfedlt made a book titled, "Art Forms In Nature" and printed all the images with the Photogravue process. He died in 1933.

This work inspires me as my work revolved a lot around various art forms in nature, especially the forms in the sky. When I take a photograph I am usually looking for some unique formation of trees or buildings or both together, that will create an interesting composition against the sky.
I am inspired by the forms that trees take as they grow and die. I always find myself taking out my cameras to photograph different trees in parks near my house. I think of it a a portrait of the tree, as each one has its own way that it has grown which creates its personality.

Art Forms in Nature. Its just a really good way of putting it-thanks Karl Blossfeldt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Adelaide, SA, Australia
If you are interested in my work, check out my website- www.aliceblanch.com or blog at clouddreamss.blogspot.com.au