www.aliceblanch.com

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sascha Weidner






Sascha Weidner is a German photographer in his 30's. He came to my University today and I got to hear him speak about his work. I can't say that I am the biggest fan of his work but some of the ideas he was talking about in his art practice were similar to mine. His work is based around Romanticism and capturing the moment 'in between', which I appreciate and admire in other people's work but is not what my work is based on.

Interestingly, each of Sascha's photographs is given a title ending in II, as Weidner states, that the original (Number 1) of each image remains in his mind. Weidner also talked about his belief that as soon as one starts to even think about taking a photograph, let alone begin to look through and position the camera, it is no longer reality.
I believe both of these statements and I think that these are one of the special things about photography. Once I see a landscape that i want to photograph, it no longer is that landscape, that reality, I begin to see it in my mind the way that my camera will see it and that is truly the original photograph, as I will edit my negative until I reach that original 'vision' that I had. - if that makes sense.

Weidner also talked about how he isn't too fussed with bracketing, as he believes that if the image wants to be taken then it will end up on the negative but if it doesn't want to, then he doesn't want it either. This is a feeling that I share. I feel like there needs to be some trust between the photographer and their camera (especially when using film) that when you are taking a roll of film you have to have some sort of 'faith' in the camera that it will capture what needs/wants to be captured and the rest remains reality.

I left Uni today, not feeling the best, but as i was walking home I felt inspired to take photographs and i think this was because I did relate to lots of the things Sascha was talking about today and bloody hell, if he can make it in the International Art WORld then why can't I?
I just have to keep my head focused on my Master Plan ( as Sascha calls it), continue taking and taking and taking photos to satisfy myself, and finally- enter all the competitions etc that I can to get my name and photographs out there!

Its that easy, right?

http://saschaweidner.de/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Adelaide, SA, Australia
If you are interested in my work, check out my website- www.aliceblanch.com or blog at clouddreamss.blogspot.com.au